Saturday, March 26, 2011

The DaVinci Code


I decided to use the DaVinci Code for my book jacket project. I don't read many books besides the text books and trade magazines. I started with the image of DaVinci from InventionUSA.com. I made some adjustments to the image to bring out the detail that was hidden in the original grainy image. I then made a mirror image of the left side for the binding. I used the Burn tool on around the edges to create a old look. For the text I used Trajan Pro with both the vertical and horizontal text with drop shadows. For the "Wow"... text I used the Felix Tilting font. I tried to keep it simple yet effective. There was more that I tried with the title text, but I feel it made the cover too cluttered.  I keep finding more things to tinker with in the project. I may post some updates if I have any breakthroughs.

3 comments:

  1. Very Good. I would put DaVinci's eye on the spine and try running the text vertically at a 90degree angle, not horizontally letter by letter.
    Its a bit brown. Try another color.

    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your recreation of The DaVinci Code. The design works well with the book, bringing together the author and the story. It has clean lines, color and a font, which keeps it simple, tasteful, and understandable. I don't think you need to change anything. I know this book has had many different covers, but your design gives the cover a new, refreshing look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the font choice over the image of Da Vinci. The light brown of the illustration you used as the cover is inviting.

    ReplyDelete